RENAQUA Decision Support System
Co-location Opportunities for RENewable energies and AQUAculture facilities, decision support for operational Multi-Use Platform activities at coastal areas
Service Region: Global Ocean
The RENAQUA Service covers the following areas of benefits targeted by the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS):
- Coastal and Marine Environement (Marine Energy)
- Marine Resources (aquaculture farm siting and management)
Integrated Coastal Management seems to be the next challenge for future development of sustainable growth of marine economies. The progressive increase in worldwide demands for marine-based renewable energies combined with higher market demands for aquaculture-based food requires better knowledge on marine spatial planning tools that allow optimizing the use of this space for different purposes. That is the case of energy production and aquaculture activities, in which synergistic and competitive interactions must be thoroughly analyzed at Global scale.
Among the most emergent activities in the context of developing marine economies are renewable energies and aquaculture, which have increasingly been enabled to operate in hostile environments. Competition over space will become a delicate issue for the sustainable development of the marine environment and will require creative and innovative solutions for co-location of activities.
MSP is a fundamental tool for balancing sector interests and achieving Blue Growth, elucidating trade-offs of individual and combined uses of marine resources. Therefore, a systematic approach towards spatial planning that identifies opportunities for the co-location of activities is essential to minimize conflicts, optimize the use of space, and reduce operation costs. In this sense, and due to the lack of approaches that address the co-location of wave energy, wind energy and aquaculture activities in a site selection scope, a methodological approach will be developed and implemented for the integrated assessment of co-location opportunities for wave, wind and aquaculture facilities in a Global scale.
The CMEMS products used in the service
CMEMS products http://marine.copernicus.eu/ are a key element of the RENAQUA service. RENAQUA will make use of the following products:
- Global Ocean Physics Reanalysis (GLOBAL_REANALYSIS_PHY_001_030)
- Global Ocean Waves Analysis and Forecast (GLOBAL_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_WAV_001_027)
- Global Ocean 1/12º Physics Analysis and Forecast (GLOBAL_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_PHY_001_024)
- Atlantic-Iberian Biscay Irish Ocean Physics Analysis and Forecast (IBI_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_PHYS_005_001)
- Atlantic-Iberian Biscay Irish Ocean Wave Analysis and Forecast (IBI_ANALYSIS_FORECAST_WAV_005_005)
UTILITY AND USEFULNESS OF THE CMEMS INFORMATION
Benefits for end-users
Benefits for end-users are focused on the three products created: Co-location analysis, Health & Safety and Operational Maintenance (HSOM) and the RENAQUA Data Hub:
- Co-location: identify suitable locations for aquaculture and marine renewable energy sectors
- HSOM: Safer marine activities
- HSOM: Optimization of operational maintenance
- Data Hub: centralized and interoperable access to the data sets in order to foster new added value
Targeted end-users include:
- private actors from micro companies to large companies
- public authorities
- scientific labs or research centres
Get Access to the RENAQUA Service
The RENAQUA Service and its products are generated making use of the COPERNICUS MARINE ENVIRONMENT MONITORING SERVICE
This section provides news about the RENAQUA Service evolution:
- 24-25/09/2019 – The RENAQUA Team will participate at the “Copernicus Marine Service for the Aquaculture Sector” workshop that will take place in Athens (Greece). Have a look here for more information.
- 13/06/2019 – The section of the RENAQUA Service “Blue Time Machine (BTM)” was awarded with the second prize at the EUDATATHON 2019, within the challenge “tackling climate change”. Have a look to the video showing some capabilities of the BTM, which makes use of Copernicus data (Copernicus Marine and Copernicus Climate Services) and EMODnet data!
- 20-24/05/2019 – The RENAQUA Team (Felipe Fernández) showed the status and functionalities of the RENAQUA Service at the Copernicus Marine Service General Assembly.
- 12-15/05/2019 – The RENAQUA Team (Felipe Fernández) was the facilitator of the “Data and information management (SDI, etc)” theme of discussion in the Technical Workshop 2: Data, indicators and tools for MSP at the 3rd International MSP Forum organized by IOC-UNESCO and DG-MARE. Flyers of the RENAQUA Project and IH MSP Platform were provided to the assistants.
- 07-10/05/2019 – The RENAQUA Team (Bárbara Ondiviela) showed the Marine Spatial Planning Platform developed under RENAQUA and ATLAS Projects at the XVII National Aquaculture Congress.
- 01/05/2019 – The flyer of the RENAQUA Project and IH-MSP Platform was designed and printed (download the flyer in pdf format here)
- 12/04/2019 – The RENAQUA Project was presented at the EGU 2019 Conference (see abstract here)
- 05/04/2019 – One of the sections of the IH-MSP Platform, called “The Blue Time Machine”, is among the finalist for EU Datathon 2019. The Blue Time Machine is a digital representation of the past, present and future conditions from our “Blue Planet”.
- 14/02/2019 – The RENAQUA Team (Raúl Guanche) showed their capacities together with the Biscay Marine Energy Platform (BiMEP) at the #WorldMaritimeWeek (see here)
- 28/03/2019 – Puertos del Estado organized the “Copernicus Marine for Spain” where the RENAQUA Project was showed to more than 100 pleople (see the agenda here)
- 15/03/2019 – The RENAQUA Team (Felipe Fernández) took part of the 2nd Capacity Building Workshop – MSP INSPIRE Data Model of the MarSP Project. The RENAQUA Project was also described to the workshop attendants (see here)
- 10/12/2018 – The RENAQUA Project was mentioned at the Spanish Copernicus Forum as one of the Copernicus User Uptake Projects (see here).
- 10/12/2018 – Webinar about the screening tool that calculates Biological suitability worldwide on the fly. Webinar organised by IHCantabria and the Spanish aquaculture producers association (APROMAR).
- 07/12/2018 – RENAQUA DSS v2.0 has been realeased. It includes the screening tool that calculates, on the fly, the Biological Suitability Index. The tool analyses the biological suitability worldwide making use of the CMEMS Product “GLOBAL_REANALYSIS_PHY_001_030“.
- 20/11/2018 – video of the RENAQUA Service has been published (https://vimeo.com/ihcantabria/msp)
- 15/11/2018 – RENAQUA DSS v1.0 has been released (access http://msp.ihcantabria.com)